Thursday 29 December 2011

The Interrogation Game

Instructions
- read the notes about the murder case below and interrogate the suspect
- choose from a selection of responses; go to the appropriate number written beside the question
- try to break the suspect and get the truth!


Case Notes
- at 0628 this morning, the police were called to the scene of a crime in King Henry's Park
- an unnamed rambler had discovered the body of a young man, Drew Layman, among some bushes. He had been killed by an overdose of morphine injected into his right arm
- preliminary tests show that he had been knocked unconscious by some blunt object to the back of the head minutes before his death
- Drew Layman was a newspaper reporter for Daily News, and was currently working on a project surrounding a drug ring known as the Tuuns. He had no family apart from a sister living in Hong Kong, and was a loner, unpopular at his work
- you are now interviewing his ex-girlfriend Sara Nate, who is rumoured to be involved with a member of the Tuuns and who had a significant motive to kill him. A witness claims to have seen someone matching her description walking quickly from King Henry Park at 10.30pm. It is your job to find out the truth.
- the only news made available to the public was that a Drew Layman, 35, a journalist, had died of an overdose of morphine at 10pm yesterday evening.


Start of Interrogation:


(1) "I hope you won't keep me long, Detective. I have a lot of work to do."

- Where do you work? Go to (2)
- I'll get straight down to it, then. Where were you at 10 pm last night? Go to (3)
- Do you know Drew Layman? Go to (4)
- So do I. I'll keep you here as long as need be. Go to (5)




(2) "I work at Carli's Cafe on Minder Road, near King Henry's Park. I'm also studying for my A Levels at night school. So you see detective, I don't have a lot of spare time. You're barking up the wrong tree - I'm innocent here."

- Innocent? Of what? I didn't accuse you of anything. Go to (6)
- Where were you at 10 pm last night? Go to (3)
- Do you know Drew Layman? Go to (4)




(3) "I was at home. Asleep."

- Is there anyone who can verify that? Go to (7)
- Do you know Drew Layman? Go to (4)
- Whereabouts do you live? Go to (8)




(4) "Of course I know Drew Layman. He used to be my boyfriend. But we split up... about a month ago. I haven't seen him since."

- Why did you split up? Go to (9)
- Are you sure you haven't seen him since last month? Go to (10)
- He was found dead last night after an overdose of morphine. Go to (11)
- So you're not in a relationship? Go to (12)




(5) "If it's going to be long, I think I'll exercise my right to have a lawyer present."

When Sara's lawyer arrives, he insists that Sara does not have to answer any questions unless you have cause to arrest her. As you have not collected enough evidence to arrest her yet, you are forced to let her leave.




(6) "I don't trust the police. You brought me in here because you think I committed some sort of crime. I'm innocent, detective. I can't help you."

- You're not under arrest, I just need you to answer some questions. Go to (13)
- I don't believe you are innocent! Go to (14)




(7) "No. I live alone. And I didn't have any visitors last night, if that's what you're suggesting. I left my work at half past nine, someone there will verify that."

- So you're not in a relationship? Go to (12)
- Where do you work? Go to (2)
- Someone said they saw you near King Henry's Park at around 10.30 pm. Are you saying that this wasn't the case? Go to (15)




(8) "A few miles out of town. I got the bus home when I left work."

- Where do you work? Go to (2)
- Can anyone verify your alibi? Go to (7)
- Do you still have your bus ticket? Go to (16)




(9) "That's a very personal question." You wait for an answer. "He was a lying, cheating, violent toerag who deserved everything that was coming to him."

- Sounds like you have a pretty good motive for murder. Go to (17)
- If he was violent, why didn't you go to the police? Go to (18)
- And yet you went out with him for a year and a half... Go to (19)




(10) "Of course I haven't seen him. Do you think I'd lie to you? To be honest, I didn't want to go anywhere near him... he scared me. He was often abusive during our relationship and I just wanted to get away from him."

- If he was violent, why didn't you go to the police? Go to (18)
- I think you're lying to me right now. Go to (20)
- Where were you at 10 pm last night? Go to (3)




(11) "I know. I read it in the papers... such a dreadful case! Do you have any leads yet, detective?"

- Do you know have any ideas as to what might have happened? Go to (21)
- Where were you last night at 10 pm? Go to (3)
- Leads? What makes you think I'm investigating this case? Go to (22)




(12) "Are you asking, detective?"

- Yes, I'm asking. And waiting for an answer. Go to (23)
- Not in the way you mean. Only someone said that you were seen near King Henry's Park at around 10.30 pm. Are you saying that this wasn't the case? Go to (15)




(13) "Well, hurry up and ask them, or I'm leaving."

- You can't leave until I've finished with my questioning, Miss Nate. Go to (24)
- Where were you at 10 pm last night? Go to (3)
- I can't guarantee this won't take a while, Miss Nate. Go to (5)




(14) "If you have enough evidence to arrest me, do it. If not, I'm leaving."

You can do nothing as Sara gets up and leaves. As she walks out, you notice she gets into a car driven by a tall bald man with tattoos marking him out as a member of the Tuun gang. You curse, realizing how close you got.




(15) "They must have been mistaken. I took the bus home and was home by ten o'clock. Maybe they got the time wrong... I was around there at 9.30, when I left work. Or it might not have been me. It gets dark early at this time of year."

- Do you still have your bus ticket? Go to (16)
- Don't lie to me! Go to (25)




(16) "Let me see... nope. I must have thrown it away. What? It's not a crime to throw away a used bus ticket, is it, detective?"

- No. But murder is. And since you no longer have an alibi, Miss Nate, I arrest you for the murder of Drew Layman! Go to (26)
- Do you know Drew Layman? Go to (4)




(17) "Murder? You're accusing me of murdering him?"

- Exactly. Thank you for summarising. Go to (27)
- I'm just speculating, Miss Nate. Go to (28)




(18) "Because I was scared, that's why. Drew may be a loner, but he has powerful friends. Well, not friends... but people who owe him. Big time. And when they find out I've been talking to the police... what with him being dead and all... I'm going to need police protection."

- Dead? How did you know he was dead? Go to (29)
- But you still went out with him for a year and a half. Go to (19)
- I can't offer you police protection until you give me some more useful evidence. Go to (30)




(19) "Drew was so very sweet... he took me in. I was lonely and he was so kind to me. But then he turned violent, and I was scared of leaving him. At first it was just little things, but they escalated... once he threatened me with a gun. I was so scared, I'd had enough. I ran away... changed my numbers, moved house... tried to stay away from him. I won't lie to you, detective... his death has released me from a great fear."

- Why didn't you go to the police? Go to (18)
- How did you know he was dead? Go to (29)
- Where did he get a gun from? Go to (30)




(20) "If you think I'm lying, prove it. Arrest me... when you have the evidence. For now, I'm leaving."

You can do nothing as Sara gets up and leaves. As she walks out, you notice she gets into a car driven by a tall bald man with tattoos marking him out as a member of the Tuun gang. You curse, realizing how close you got.




(21) "Drew did a lot of drugs... I suppose he must have taken an overdose."

- Where did he get his drugs from? Go to (31)
- Had he taken an overdose before? Go to (32)




(22) "Aren't you investigating his murder, detective? That's what I had assumed... I hope you've got someone looking into the matter."

- How did you know that Drew was murdered? Go to (33)
- Yes, I am. And I'm investigating now. I'm investigating you. Go to (27)




(23) "I'm currently... involved. With a friend of Drew's. He looked after me... whenever Drew got violent. I can't see what bearing this has on the case, detective."

- If Drew was violent, why didn't you go to the police? Go to (18)
- I need a name, Miss Nate. Go to (34)




(24) "If you have enough evidence to arrest me, do it. If not, I'm leaving."

You can do nothing as Sara gets up and leaves. As she walks out, you notice she gets into a car driven by a tall bald man with tattoos marking him out as a member of the Tuun gang. You curse, realizing how close you got.




(25) "If you think I'm lying, prove it. Arrest me... when you have the evidence. For now, I'm leaving."

You can do nothing as Sara gets up and leaves. As she walks out, you notice she gets into a car driven by a tall bald man with tattoos marking him out as a member of the Tuun gang. You curse, realizing how close you got.




(26) "Don't be ridiculous. You don't have any evidence. I'm calling my lawyer."

When Sara's lawyer arrives, he insists that Sara does not have to answer any questions unless you have cause to arrest her. As you have not collected enough evidence to arrest her yet, you are forced to let her leave.




(27) "I'm no murderer. Don't be ridiculous. You don't have any evidence. I'm calling my lawyer."

When Sara's lawyer arrives, he insists that Sara does not have to answer any questions unless you have cause to arrest her. As you have not collected enough evidence to arrest her yet, you are forced to let her leave.




(28) "Hmm. Well, get on with it, then."

- If he was violent, why didn't you go to the police? Go to (18)
- If he was violent, why did you go out with him for a year and a half... Go to (19)




(29) "I read about it in the paper of course. Do you have any leads yet, detective?"


- Do you know have any ideas as to what might have happened? Go to (21)
- Where were you last night at 10 pm? Go to (3)
- Leads? What makes you think I'm investigating this case? Go to (22)




(30) "His dealer provided him with whatever he needed. He took a lot of drugs. Say he owed Gre- I mean, his dealer, a lot of money. His dealer might have given him too much, so he took an overdose. Come to think of it, he had access to morphine, so he could have killed Drew easily."

- I need a name, Miss Nate. Go to (34)
- How did you know he died from morphine? Go to (29)
- Do you think it was murder, then? Go to (22)




(31) "His dealer provided him with whatever he needed. He took a lot of drugs. Say he owed Gre- I mean, his dealer, a lot of money. His dealer might have given him too much, so he took an overdose. Come to think of it, he had access to morphine, so he could have killed Drew easily."

- I need a name, Miss Nate. Go to (34)
- How did you know he died from morphine? Go to (29)
- Do you think it was murder, then? Go to (22)




(32) "He had taken an overdose once or twice before. It was only a matter of time before he killed himself, everyone knew it."

- Where did he get his drugs from? Go to (30)
- Everyone? Who's everyone? Go to (35)




(33) "I read about it in the papers, of course. Are you stupid?"

- The police control what information goes to the media, and at no point did any newspaper mention the possibility of Drew being murdered. An innocent person might assume he took an overdose, or an accident... not murder. Go to (36)
- Where were you last night at 10 pm? Go to (3)
- Do you think it was the first time Drew had taken morphine? Go to (32)




(34) "I can't give you a name. Why do you think Drew was killed? I need protection!"

- How did you know Drew was murdered? Go to (33)
- I can't promise protection. Go to (37)
- All right. We'll give you protection... provided we get names. Go to (38)




(35) "Drew's... friends. His dealer. Everyone."

- "Who was his dealer?" Go to (34)
- Where did he get his drugs from? Go to (30)




(36) "Okay, fine. You win. I'll tell you what happened."

"I didn't go straight home after work. I went to the park to meet Greg. My boyfriend. Only he didn't turn up. I hung around there for half an hour, but, you know, it's not safe there for a girl on her own. So I started to go, but at about ten past ten, he turned up. He was all in a panic, pushed me into his car and drove me home. Said he'd been waiting around for me when he'd seen Drew lying in the bushes, blood pouring from his head. He didn't think, he just ran, cos he thought I'd be suspected. Please, don't hurt me... I had nothing to do with this, honest!"

Well done! You have successfully proved that Sara had something to do with the murder. You can complete the storyline in Part Two - still to come!




(37) "No protection - no names. I'm outta here."

You can do nothing as Sara gets up and leaves. As she walks out, you notice she gets into a car driven by a tall bald man with tattoos marking him out as a member of the Tuun gang. You curse, realizing how close you got.




(38) "You're going to promise me protection from these killers for the rest of my life? I don't think you can keep that promise, detective. I'll be killed just like Drew if they ever see me again.

- Maybe I can't promise protection. But we'll do our best. Go to (37)
- How did you know Drew was murdered? Go to (33)

----THE END----

Did you enjoy this new type of mystery? Please leave your feedback - I'd love to know!

6 comments:

  1. This is great! Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Glad you liked it. I'm going to try and get a friend of mine to make it into a flash game, watch this space...
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I got it right!! This is really brilliant, God, it must've taken you ages... Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks :) actually it didn't take me that much longer than an average mystery, and it was quite fun to write... I'll think about doing some more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I think you should so some more - they're really good :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Tiula... sorry if I'm commenting in the wrong place but couldn't figure out due to my inept internet ability where else to do it. This is my first visit to your site and I like it a lot. I didn't get into much but I did read about the detectives. I agree with you on the name change. Names are very important to your story. Many writers utilize cutsy or complicated names and it can make the story difficult to follow as the names and characters are sometimes difficult to remember and put together. I always try to use strong simple names that fit how I am trying to sell the character. Does that make sense?

    George

    ReplyDelete