Saturday 17 December 2011

Driving Death

The paramedics, having cut away a large section of the wrecked car door, pulled the distraught girl out of the driver's seat. Despite a two-inch long cut on her forehead that was bleeding freely, she was otherwise uninjured.

"Lydia," she sobbed, as they prepared to stitch her cut, "Let me see Lydia!"

A paramedic with a short grey beard touched her shoulder gently. "I'm sorry, Kara," he said, "Lydia's dead."

"No!" She shoved him away violently. "No, no, no, she can't be, she can't be!"

Another paramedic brought an oxygen canister forward and placed the mask over Kara's mouth and nose. After a few deep breaths, she began to calm down.

"My name is Max," said the grey-haired paramedic. "We've called the police and they're on their way. But we need to ask you, how much can you remember about before the crash?"

Kara took another deep gulp of air and removed the mask. "We were driving back from the auditions," she recalled. "We rounded the corner and the sun was low in the sky so it dazzled me."

She gestured back towards the town, and Max squinted against the sharp orange rays of the setting sun, silhouetting the city skyscrapers against the sky.

"I squinted and couldn't control the car properly. I felt a bang, and suddenly we were off the road. Then - I don't remember anything, until you started cutting me from the car."

Max nodded reassuringly. "Was that your car?" he asked her, looking at the smoking wreck.

Kara shook her head. "Mine and Lydia's shared. We took it in turns - she drove us in, and I drove back. We were so happy - we'd each got a part in this pantomime, she was the lead and I was her understudy. We have ourselves a flat in the next village along. Best friends, ever since primary school..." she trailed off, another tear snaking down her face.

Max patted her hand, comforting yet somehow unconvincing, and rose to talk to the police who had just arrived on the scene.

"I think you need to question Kara further," he said slowly to one of the men in uniform. "Something tells me this wasn't an accident."

How did he know?

Answer (highlight to read): Kara said she was driving from town to her flat in a village when she was blinded by the sun. However, the setting sun would have been behind her, as Max saw it against the city.

5 comments:

  1. I'm dead pleased, I guessed this one! Nice, this was a good one :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHH i dont get it help me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Kara pointed to the setting sun, it was behind her, in the direction of the city. She was driving away from the city, and so the sun would have been behind her, not in front of her.

    ReplyDelete