Saturday 26 March 2011

Til Death Do Us Part

It was the happiest day of Sarah's life - her wedding day. As her new husband, James, turning a charming smile to her, raised his glass in a toast, she smiled back, feeling that she was the luckiest woman alive.

Suddenly, the lights went out. There was instant panic - screams from the bridesmaid, a shout of 'what the hell?' from the best man and shrieks of joy from the little children who loved it. It took a few seconds for the emergency lights to flicker on, illuminating the hall in an eerie green glow.

James turned to Sarah to check she was alright - and staggered, nearly fainting. For in the middle of Sarah's lifeless body was a crimson patch of blood.

Suddenly, through the ensuing panic, a tall, good-looking man pushed his way through. "Let me through! I'm a detective, I can handle this." The hall slowly began to quieten, and the man showed his ID. "Detective Inspector Carlton, this is my assistant River." He gestured to a young woman behind him.

James scowled. "Who gave you permission to order us around?"

"I was called in here to investigate a threat. Now I can't prevent it, I will do my best to solve the crime. Get the hell out of my way, or I'll have you arrested."

James froze, and then sighed. "All right."

Carlton nodded. "That's better. River, clear the room. The lights were only out for a couple of seconds, so I'd say that narrows our suspects down to the people on the top table. Namely, the bridesmaid, groom, and best man. Get everyone else out, and take statements from those three."

River nodded. "Yes, sir." She began to move the shocked crowd out of the room.

When the room was clear, Carlton began his investigation. There was no weapon in the body, but as he searched the top table, he noticed a stain on the tablecloth. The cake knife had been shoved under the tablecloth where Louis, the best man, had been sitting, and it was covered in blood.

"Nice one, Carlton," he grinned to himself.

A few minutes later, River came back in. "Got the statements, sir," she said. "Take a look."

Catherine -- bridesmaid -- "When the lights went out, I was terrified. I hate the dark. I grabbed Sarah, who was next to me, and we clung to one another until the lights came back on again. She's been my best friend since school... I can't believe she's dead! Who would want to kill Sarah? Everyone loved her!"

James -- groom -- "Sarah was my childhood sweetheart, I loved her more than anything. This was to be the best day of our lives; we'd planned it all perfectly. And now to hear that she's been stabbed with a cake knife, like a pig for slaughter - it's horrible! And when I find out who killed her, I swear I'll kill him!"

Louis -- best man -- "Sarah was always loved by everyone, and was so gentle, she was the only person who could calm down James when he got angry. That man lost his cool once too often, to tell the truth. He even argued with Catherine! Who could argue with her? She looked so sweet nd innocent tonight in that pale gold dress.


Carlton finished reading. "This makes our job a lot easier, doesn't it, River?"

"Does it, sir?" River replied.

"Well, it does for a genius like me. We can make our arrest now." Carlton chuckled and swaggered out of the room.

Who killed Sarah, and why?


Answer (highlight to read): James killed Sarah, as he was the only person who knew that Sarah had been killed with the cake knife. He had attempted to kill Catherine, with whom he had argued, but with the two girls clutching each other, one in white and the other in pale gold, it was impossible to tell which was which. In the dark, James had stabbed his new bride rather than his bridesmaid.

No comments:

Post a Comment