Saturday 26 March 2011

Lucia's Robbery

Lucia Anderson just couldn't get out of bed on Monday morning. Her head hurt, she felt sick, and she ached all over, and the sweet smell of breakfast coming from downstairs didn't help either.

She leaned out of bed and pressed a small bell on her bedside table to call in Katie, her maid. She was new to Lucia's household, a recommendation from her cousin, but very bright and Lucia always found her helpful.

"Call the doctor, Katie," she croaked. "And cancel my appointments for today. I'm ill."

"Of course, madam," Katie replied, and left the room.

A few hours later, Lucia heard the doorbell ring, and some voices downstairs. Suddenly, the door was flung open and her best friend Max stood in the doorway, a big smile on his face.

"Morning, Lucia!" he said, "I heard you were feeling a bit ill. I thought I'd come along and cheer you up."

"Thanks, Max," Lucia replied gratefully. "What's in there?" She had her eyes on a large bag that Max had carried up.

"Games!" he announced, opening it to reveal a selection of board games. "I figured you might be a bit bored, sitting in bed all day. Oh, and I brought you some grapes."

After a playing a few games and munching on a couple of grapes, Lucia felt a little better, but it wasn't long before Max had to leave for another appointment. She rang the bell again and Katie showed out Max.

As Max left, Doctor Pale arrived. 

"How are you feeling?" he asked, as he checked Lucia's pulse. After asking a few more questions, he seemed to know the problem.

"Unfortunately I just left my bag in the car," he admitted. "But I'm afraid I can't really do anything about this. Drink lots of water and rest, and you should be all right in a couple of days."

"Thanks, Doctor," said Lucia, leaning back in bed.

"It was nice of your friend to leave you these board games and grapes. I met him on the way out," said Doctor Pale jovially, as he got up.

"Yes, he's a good friend," mused Lucia.

That afternoon, Lucia began to feel a bit better, and she rang the bell again.

"I think I'll have some food now," she said to Katie, "If you could have some tea ready, I'll come down in a few minutes."

Sure enough, five minutes later, Lucia was sitting in the kitchen with a tray of freshly-baked muffins in front of her. Katie had been cooking all morning; there were rows of cakes and bread rolls on the sideboard.

Lucia allowed her gaze to drift from the sideboard to the mantelpiece opposite, and suddenly she froze. Her original ancient Chinese vase was missing, a large and magnificent specimen.

"Katie!" she snapped. "Where's my vase?"

"I don't know, madam," the girl stammered.

Lucia thought quickly. It had definitely been in here yesterday, she remembered that. "Who has been in here since yesterday?" she asked.

"Only me, and I invited both Max Fraser and the doctor in here for tea when they each arrived. I suppose either of them could have taken it whilst I was looking the other way, but I'm sure neither of them left with it. It's hard to hide, and none of them carried it."

Lucia thought for a few minutes. Her head felt like it was stuffed with cotton wool but her mental skills were still sharp, and after a moment she smiled. "I know who took it," she said.

Who stole the vase? Katie, Max Fraser, or Doctor Pale?


Answer (highlight to read): Max Fraser. He carried a huge bag, big enough for the vase, but left with it empty.

1 comment: